Sunday, December 08, 2013

Sunday Walking Market

Top of my list of things I wanted to do in Chiang Mai was the Sunday Walking Market.  So after an easy morning we headed into town in search of a serious shopping experience.

The Sunday Walking Market kicks off at 4.30pm and goes on till midnight - we arrived fairly early and come 7pm it was absolutely heaving.  It's a huge, huge, huge road that seems to go on forever mashed full of stalls selling jewellery, clothing, arts and crafts, food, drink, to be honest it was pretty much a case if you can think of it, they probably sell it.  I didn't spot any Chinese Throwing Stars - but if I asked, I'm sure some could have been tracked down.
I wanted to flex my hippy travel credentials to the max, so I invested in some teal peacock feather patterned fisherman's trousers and we also bartered down a beautiful hand-stitched tablecloth covered with a landscape of animals frolicking around a river.  We did have some food there, but it wasn't really anything to write home about so I won't bother.  Instead we found THE BEST ROCK BAR IN THE WORLD.  Yes, that's right - if you like your heavy metal with a Thai accent come to the InterBar near Thapae Gate.  Their band covered Metallica, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses and The Offspring to name but a few.  We were only walking past originally, but had to go in and order a few beers and hear them out.

Several beers and many regrets later I dragged Mark away to a tuktuk to whisk him back to the hotel.  Cooking school tomorrow - cleavers and hangovers don't mix!

No comments: